Tuesday, February 19, 2008

is that your BRAT?

okay, so i don't have good luck with kids in public. i will now explain...

yesterday, i took my boys and the 2 kids that i sit to mcdonald's. we met up with a friend of caleb's, his mom and little brother, no school because of president's day. so we get there around 11:20 and the playground is closed until noon. Forty minutes before lunch time isn't the time to clean and change lightbulbs, on a school holiday no less! so we got our food and let the kids eat, at least that's all they could do. well, the playground finally opens and we go in. the kids are playing, having a great time, all is well (for about 5 minutes). i was talking to beatris (the mom) and looked back to see another kid push jon(little boy i sit) down. so i jump up, go over and check on jon. he's okay. i ask the other kid not to do that again, i get ignored. i sit back down and jon goes and plays. not 5 minutes later, this same kid is slapping and pushing and slapping jon even more. i jump up again, pull the kid off of jon, check on jon (still holding on the this other kid). i stand up and this guy is in my face (person space totally invaded), "IS THAT YOUR BRAT THAT KEEPS PUSHING AND HITTING THE OTHER KIDS?" "what?" (that's me) "IS THAT YOUR BRAT?" (him) at this point i am "shaking" mad! "NO THIS ISN'T MY BRAT BUT THAT'S MY KID HE IS HITTING!" (that was me :0 ) (him)-> "oh!" (notice not yelling anymore) me-> "I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHO HE BELONGS TO, CARE TO FIND OUT?" (i'm still yelling, oops)

so the "nice" man and i try to find who this naughty kid belongs to, no luck. well, long story short, the kid was there with his grandparents. the grandpa was told what was happening. he sincerely apologized and let's me know that the kid has some developmental "issues", his words not mine. not to be rude but the kicker was that the grandpa said "he can be overly aggressive at times." what is an "overly aggressive at times" child doing unsupervised around other children?

unfortunately, the kids didn't get to play long because that other kid was just out of hand. we left and jon was okay (just a little red cheeked from all the slapping)!

5 comments:

Stacy said...

This may be totally insensitive of me, and I would never tell someone else's kid to do this, but I would have told my own kid to kick the kid's butt if he touched him again. I know Skylar would have done it. Is that wrong? You are way nicer than me.

Summer said...

That kid was so strong I could hardly pull him off of Jon! Poor Jon just sat there and took it.

Mindy said...

love the "i'm lovin' it" play there... again, wish i could've been there to witness a harrison girl throw-down... you're awesome!

Chad~Nicole said...

I know this wasn't funny, but I was laughing out loud as I read the conversation between you and the "nice" man.

Charity said...

when I read the title, I thought it was something a kid said. Just like Lauren saying, "Is that your mother?" I never think of what I want to say until it's all over. I'm glad you stood up for yourself